This may end up as a long post….
There are times when all of the stars align together. Things just seem to work out. I’m not talking about an event as I am a conversation. Let me explain. Do you ever have those moments where God keeps saying the same thing in a REALLY LOUD VOICE over and over? For me it has had to do with confidence – or should I say a confident humility. Over the past week God has spoken to me in very clear ways about this and I want to share.
I am the last person on earth who is going through "Experiencing God." Well I feel like it. 2 Sundays ago I told Daniel that he should be confident in his speaking abilities – you know – encouraging him that he’s a good communicator. Which he is. But then I read Blackaby.
He describes ‘self-centeredness’ as:
- affirming self
- self confidence
- proud of self and self’s accomplishments
- depending on self and one’s own abilities
- confidence in God
- humble before God
- denying self
- dependence on God and His ability and provision
- seeking first the kingdom of God and His righteousness.
The point that Blackaby was trying to make is that Abraham could not take any confidence in his ability – only that God had called him to do something. He had to take confidence in that calling and God’s ability to work through him.
THEN…I read this in "Breakout Churches" not 2 days later. "Leaders at Acts 4 and higher displayed an unmistakable confidence in their leadership abilities….But the Acts 6/7 leaders displayed an unpretentious humility with their confidence…We saw no less confidence in the Acts 6/7 leaders, but their confidence centered more on what God was doing in their lives and less on their own inherent abilities." Sound familiar?
THEN!…My Bible reading schedule had me come across these 2 verses. 1 Chr. 14:2 "And David knew that the Lord had established him as King over Israel and that his Kingdom had been highly exalted for the sake of his people Israel." Matt 18:4 "Therefore whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Some of us have this ‘I’m not good enough’ complex and label it as humility…bull. This humility is different. You think David thought…"Yeah I’m the badest bad-a__ in town. I’m going to do big things for God?" Not hardly….read the verse again. The focus is on God, not himself. The LORD established him.
- Take confidence in what God has called you to do! David KNEW that God had established him for that time and that purpose. Because of this, he was careful to do what GOD had instructed and not his own plans
- Take confidence in God’s power. Yes you’ve heard ‘where God guides he provides.’ Feels like tent meeting talk. But it’s true. If God has called you, your gifts and abilities are God ordained for that purpose. He can and will use you.
- DO NOT take confidence in yourself. You’ll screw up. You’ll blow it. It is by the grace of God that we’re usable in the first place.
- Have a confident humility. Be humble in yourself, but confident in God’s call, power, and ability.
- Why is this important for me? Because I feel inadequate. I’m not the best guitar player, leader, singer, or the coolest worship guy. BUT God has called me. I can’t play piano or wax eloquent about the different modes of music. BUT God has called me. And I must believe that God knew what I had to offer and knew that he could take this ant hill of talent and use it for his glory. So when you feel like there may be someone better out there that could do your job remember this – talent will never outweigh the calling. Now that will give you confidence.