You can’t do everything….and you shouldn’t. Despite what we may think we are not God’s gift to the worship world…or whatever you role may be. Here are some things I have given away over the past month:
- Financial Peace Coordinator – My good friend Dave Sillaman is passionate about helping people get financially secure. Who better to take this over! He was in our first class and is doing a great job leading the current session. I love doing it, but he is much better!
- Music Director – Matthew Furukaura is our drummer. He is a machine. He is an animal. He is also a walking library of music. Name a song and he can tell you the artist and probably 90% of the lyrics…Christian or secular. I actually think he has a photographic memory. He now is selecting music and is handling the rotation for musicians. If there is a vacancy he fills it. If there are interested musicians he meets with them. He is a God-send. Now wait, you may ask. Aren’t you the worship pastor and shouldn’t you pick the music!?!?! How vain and ostentatious is that notion. Of course I proof everything, but I found that Matt and his team (yes he has put together a worship selection team) are far better at putting together a great worship set that ties in with the teaching. I’m not the only one who can hear from God. And besides, now people can get their music 2 weeks out. I sucked at getting the music out on time.
- Vocal Director – Tammie Floyd used to be Tammie Lynch. Her and I were great friends at Liberty and in fact, she was my accompanist for my senior recital. She is also a gifted singer (not to mention the wife of the pastor). Classically trained in both piano and vocals she does a great job teaching vocal technique and parts during our rehearsals. Again this allows me to divide an conquer. She is able to devote much more attention to the vocals and thus help make Sundays that much better! In addition she helps with vocal auditions and schedules singers for our Sunday worship experience.
- Production Director – Kristine Schlee is awesome. She coordinates our creative team meetings, puts together our cue sheets, and makes sure everyone in on the same page. Come Sunday mornings she knows exactly what is going to happen and communicates it, and helps everybody stick to the plan. She is my bull-dog. Actually that’s not her temperament at all, but she does a great job seeing the big picture and corralling all players involved. She keeps an eye on the time and sees to it that pre-service run-through happens and that there are no hiccups. She can communicate to the Sound Tech, Lighting Tech, Computer Tech, or stage hands via radio. Her primary job is basically to see that all things run smoothly. She doesn’t call cues. We had a bad Sunday one time and she approached me with this question, "How can I help lighten your load on Sunday’s. How can I see to it that we never have a Sunday like that again." Trust me, YOU WANT PEOPLE LIKE THIS!!!
- Media Director – David Gregory is our cue-caller. He is our sound-tech and computer genius. He communicates with everybody at the media table to make sure they are on the same page. David has been with us from day 1. He is freakn’ awesome. And you can tell he loves his job. It is a calling for him. And he has grown so much as a leader over the last year. What I really love about David is he is always thinking ahead. What is coming down the road? What do we need to do to prepare for it? How can I see to it that it happens?
These are just a few of the things I have handed off lately. For David it wasn’t a hand-off. He was already doing sound. I just re-organized the media department and gave him more responsibility. Why? Because he was ready for it! Same with Matt. He was showing some amazing leadership qualities that needed to be utilized. He is achieving far more of his potential now. Because of these hand-offs I can concentrate on leading worship on Sunday’s instead of running around like a chicken with my head cut off. All of these people are indispensable. I love them dearly and am so glad to lock arms with them to reach this community!