Yes Starbucks has overpriced coffee and the atmosphere to boot. Nice cozy cubbies, eclectic music accentuating the swirling of cappuccinos machines – and questionable mini-lunch options. Darn good gingerbread muffins though.
Why the Starbucks hating? Well I had planned to go there to get some work done today…seems all trendy pastors should make the weekly pilgrimage to this American icon, and I felt that I wasn’t doing my part to keep the stock prices up. But alas – packed to the gills. Full of 40 and 50 somethings drinking their latte’s and reading yesterdays newspapers.
So I had to change plans. Panera Bread is right down the road from my house and it has always been good to me. Then I thought…why Starbucks anyway? Here are my arguments:
- Panera Bread’s overpriced coffee is much better than Starbucks. Let’s face it, Starbucks lost to McDonalds coffee in a taste test….its mud.
- Starbucks thinks an 1/8" of room is enough to dilute the ‘put hair on your chest and other places you don’t want-strong coffee’. Room for me with Starbucks is half a cup. Panera let’s you make your own room.
- Panera’s overpriced coffee has some justification….free refills!
- Pay for internet! Ha! Free wi-fi at Panera….shame on you Starbucks.
- Room for more! Panera has more than 4 chairs.
- Coffee Club@ 8 Coffee’s at Panera and you get any free coffee drink on the menu!
- Where else can you go to get the nice fresh smell of burning bread?
- If you end up staying through lunch you have all sorts of options! Can we say soup in a bread bowl?
Only thing missing….freakn’ awesome Peppermint Mochas.